Dave says:

    "I want to make a statement about...me...now, if I became deceived, I will never tell you what I'm going to tell you now...I am telling you if I go off into strange ideas, misconduct, rebellion, you name it, don't follow me. I want to tell you that now, because if I start doing that I'm gonna try to get you to follow me! I'm gonna come to you and tell you it doesn't apply, it doesn't mean me, no, no, no, no, no, no, it's OK to follow me because ABCD and XY and Z. Do you understand what I'm saying? Listen to me now, when I tell you don't follow me if I go off into weird ideas, or if I get off into other things that are total absolutely unscriptural conduct, because if I do I'm gonna paint it with a different face and try to get you to follow me. Do you understand what I'm saying brethren? Please remember that, because I promise you that if I become deceived, I'll forget it, and I'll want you to forget it...And I hope you'll remember it well enough to quote it right back to me...But I'll tell you what, I'm not going anywhere."

Dennis Diehl - EzineArticles Expert AuthorI have tried to define what that last sentence is really saying and finally can.  Anytime you use a "BUT" after all of what one just said, it is a wash out of all said before the "BUT."   It is projecting an awareness one has of their ability to screw up and be deceptive which makes people feel good that you are aware of it.  However, the "BUT" cancels all preceding it so the person can go about their business and still now do what they wish without a challenge because they said they would not be a problem ever. 
It's a false humility with no intention of actually being something the author intends to be cautious about because they really don't see anything THEY do as ever being able to be labeled strange or weird. 
Clever trickster.